Fringe Box



Sex Assault On Man Beside River: Police Renew Appeal for Witnesses

Published on: 13 Oct, 2015
Updated on: 17 Oct, 2015

A man has  been arrested and released on bail (October 13) in connection with the riverside sexual assault on a young man in the early hours of Sunday morning (October 11) in an open space beside the River Wey in Guildford.

Surrey police has renewed its appeal for witnesses to come forward.

The incident took place on what is known as Millmead Island, upstream from the town centre and opposite Millbrook car park and the Shalford Road

A police officer on Sunday (Oct 11) guarding the scene of the sexual assault on Millmead Island, Guildford.

A police officer on Sunday (Oct 12) guarding the scene of the sexual assault on Millmead Island, Guildford.

The victim, a 21 year-old man, was assaulted by another man between 1.30am and 2.15am on Sunday October 12th.

The attacker is described as white, in his 20s or 30s, of medium build, between 5ft 6in and 5ft 9in. He had blond hair and brown eyebrows and was wearing dark jeans and white trainers. He also had a northern accent.

Investigating officer Detective Sergeant Tim Hadfield said: “We are taking this incident extremely seriously and have specially trained officers supporting the victim at this time.

“We are currently carrying out a number of enquiries and continue to have a police presence in that area.

“I would appeal to anyone who was in the area at the time to get in touch with us immediately.

“It might be that you were out in Guildford on Saturday night and recognise the description as someone you saw, or perhaps you walked through the park area on your way home and noticed something suspicious – if so we urgently need to hear from you.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Surrey Police on 101 or report it online at quoting the reference number 45150092463.

Alternatively, you can report it anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

On Sunday afternoon (October 12) a section of the riverbank on Millmead Island was taped off and guarded by a police officer.

The officer, on duty by the Tumbling Bay watergate, opposite the former Guildford Boathouse, was holding a major incident log but said he was not allowed to divulge what was reported to have happened.

He added that the area had been taped off to preserve evidence and to allow a proper forensic examination to take place.


Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *