Abraham Lincoln
If given the truth, the people can be depended upon to meet any national crisis...
Guildford news...
for Guildford people, brought to you by Guildford reporters - Guildford's own news service

Ministry of Housing, Communities, and Local Government is co-located with the Home Office in Westminster. Google
By Chris Caulfield
local democracy reporter
The Government’s u-turn on reinstating elections across 30 local authorities shows just how “rash and reckless” last year’s decision was to cancel polls in Surrey, opposition councillors said today (February 17).
In 2025, residents were told elections in Surrey should be axed because councils needed time to focus on merging into two mega authorities.
Now however, the Government has written to the High Court to set out its position that 30 councils, including 21 going through their own mergers, “in the light of recent legal advice” will go ahead with council elections this year. But it’s a year too late for Surrey.
The decision comes after a legal challenge was brought against the decision to delay polls by Reform UK leader Nigel Farage. It means all local elections in May 2026 will now go ahead.
This decision has left some in Surrey wondering what has changed and whether they needed to cancel their own polls?
In a letter to the affected chief executives, Steve Reed, Secretary of State for housing, communities and local government, wrote: “I recognise that many of the local councils undergoing reorganisation voiced genuine concerns about the pressure they are under as we seek to deliver the most ambitious reforms of local government in a generation.
“I am therefore announcing today that we will provide up to £63 million in additional capacity funding to the 21 local areas undergoing reorganisation across the whole programme, building on the £7.6 million provided for developing proposals last year.
“I will shortly set out further detail about how that funding will be allocated.”
Cllr Paul Follows, leader of the Liberal Democrat group at Surrey County Council opposed the postponement in 2025 saying it robbed people of their democratic right and left in place dozens of unmandated councillors.
Speaking after the Government’s announcement, he said: “I am sure those areas will welcome the chance to have their democratic rights restored and to have their say on the various proposals for local government reorganisation in those areas.
“Surrey of course will not be one of them, due to the rash and reckless actions of Conservative-led Surrey County Council.
“They have jumped into the unknown, exposed most of the county to significant debt and discord in the process with barely a plan of their own – joined at the hip on this subject to a Labour government that, seemingly, are abandoning their own plans on a daily basis.”
Surrey County Council wrote to the Government in January last year to take up the offer of delaying its own elections. It argued this would give officers the time to focus on merging with its boroughs and districts.
They added that spending millions on an election only to then dissolve the entire council within a year or two would be a waste of time and money.
Asked what has changed since then and whether its decision in Surrey was still correct the ministry gave a stock reply that declined to answer questions put to it.
It said that, in the case of Surrey, last year’s elections to the county council and six of the district councils are being replaced by elections to the two new unitary councils.
The decision is in relation to the postponement of 30 local council elections, and is separate from the decision which impacts Surrey.
The ministry declined to add anything further.
Tim Oliver, leader of Surrey County Council said: “In Surrey we remain focussed on delivering a smooth transition for devolution and local government reorganisation and we are gearing up for local elections in May as planned.
“Last year, we were confirmed on the Government’s accelerated programme and elections were postponed for one year so that the necessary preparatory work could take place at pace.”
The council also pointed out that some of the reinstated council elections this year had already been postponed once, and would have given their elected officials six-year terms.

And then there were seven. (See article: "Lib Dems Remain Puzzled By Leader’s Decision to Sack Executive Member")

This website is published by The Guildford Dragon NEWS
Contact: Martin Giles mgilesdragon@gmail.com
Log in- Posts - Add New - Powered by WordPress - Designed by Gabfire Themes
George Potter
February 19, 2026 at 8:57 pm
“The council also pointed out that some of the reinstated council elections this year had already been postponed once, and would have given their elected officials six-year terms.”
Funny that Surrey County Council didn’t also point out that county councillors in Surrey are already all going to have six-year terms, precisely because the county council elections were cancelled in 2025 and will not take place again before the council is itself abolished in 2027.
If a six-year term of office without election is unacceptable (which it is) for other councils then why doesn’t SCC consider it unacceptable for Surrey?
George Potter is a Lib Dem borough and county councillor