Fringe Box



Courageous City Go Down Fighting

Published on: 6 Apr, 2014
Updated on: 6 Apr, 2014

Guildford City 0, Bridgwater Town 3

By Alice Curtis

Bridgwater Town ran out 3-0 victors at the Guildford Spectrum on Saturday despite a courageous performance from the home side.

City went into the match missing seven regulars through injury and illness, and as the first of three home games in seven days this was not the ideal start to City’s bid for survival.


City’s Danny Wiliams crossed the ball.

Guildford started on the front foot and opened the game with a great chance, Bridgwater ‘keeper Sam Alexander had to be at his best to deny Yacine Gnahore with a fine save to block his shot from 25 yards. Dom Ogun then had an ambitious shot from distance but it flew straight over the bar.

The visitors then grew into the game. Karl Tooze and Karim Rendell both had shots in quick succession from the left that were blocked, with Jamie Mawford picking up the dead ball and having a shot blocked himself. But the first goal of the game came after 19 minutes from Tom Knighton who battled with Jamie Throughgood in front of goal, before slotting the ball straight past Antony Hall.

Bridgwater’s main threat came from Jamie Mawford who majestically carried the ball down the left wing. But Guildford were passing the ball well, trying to break down the visitor’s defence. Callum Attwood and Yacine Gnahore both had free kicks in dangerous positions however neither of them could make an impact.


Action between Guildford City and Bridgwater Town.

Bridgwater also hit the post just after the half an hour mark after a cross in the box was met by Craig Allen, before Jamie Mawford shot from the rebound was bravely blocked at full stretch by Jamie Thoroughgood. Mawford then set up captain Karim Rendell in front of goal but a good save from Antony Hall saw the teams go into the break only separated by the one goal, a fair reflection on a fairly even first half.

Bridgwater came out all guns blazing in the second half, as Jamie Mawford’s efforts in the first period saw him deservedly score twice in two minutes. The first saw him carry the ball into the area and finish from the left, and the second after he met Karm Rendell’s pass with 49 minutes played. Tom Knighton was then close to adding the fourth but his shot just trickled by the right post.

Guildford were then arguably robbed of a lifeline when Yacine Gnahore’s header from a corner appeared to have hit the underside of the net, however the match officials didn’t give the goal, much to the dismay of many of the Guildford fans.


Guildford City’s Yacine Gnahore.

The game was fairly quiet after the controversy. Substitute Nuno Pereira made an impact when he crossed to Yacine Gnahore who got his foot to the ball but with no control the shot flew over the bar. With 15 minutes remaining, Bridgwater’s Karim Rendell also had an acrobatic shot with his foot, but his volley was brilliantly tipped onto the crossbar by Antony Hall.

Yacine Gnahore had a last chance effort for City in the 90th minute but his shot from distance flew straight over the bar. A commendable first half performance from Guildford City but the two quick goals so early on in the second essentially killed the game of. If Gnahore’s goal was allowed, the last half an hour may have seen a comeback, but it was the visitor’s who travelled back to Somerset with the three points.

Team: Antony Hall, Bruce McPhail, Dammy Bada, Matt Oldring, Jamie Thoroughgood, Jordan Taylor, Danny Williams (Nuno Pereira 56), Yacine Gnahore, Alex Afful, Dominc Ogun, Callum Attwood.Unused subs: Aaron Hennessy.

Yellow cards: Yacine Gnahore, Nuno Pereira

Referee: Matthew Lee

Attendance: 93

Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *