Fringe Box



Hindhead Collision Casualties Taken to The Royal Surrey

Published on: 11 Sep, 2012
Updated on: 11 Sep, 2012
Some of the casualties from last night’s fatal road accident near Hindhead were taken to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford as well as other local hospitals.

Three people died and a number were left seriously injured after the collision when a coach on the A3 near the Hindhead tunnel last night (10 Sep) left the road.

The 51 seat coach was travelling northbound around 11.50pm when it left the carriageway between the Hindhead tunnel and the Thursley exit and collided with a tree on an embankment. No other vehicles are believed to be involved, although the investigation is still at an early stage.

Three people were declared dead at the scene and one of the passengers was airlifted to Southampton General Hospital. Further passengers, some who had also suffered serious injuries, were taken to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford, St Peter’s Hospital in Chertsey, St George’s Hospital in Tooting, King’s College Hospital in London, Frimley Park Hospital and Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth.

Surrey Police, Surrey Fire and Rescue and South East Coast Ambulance Service attended the scene. The north bound carriageway of the A3 remains closed while recovery work and preliminary investigation action takes place.

A large number of resources are involved including officers from Surrey Police’s Collision Investigation Unit and Roads Policing Unit. Support has also been provided by two Hazardous Area Response Teams and the Sussex Police helicopter, with assistance from the Patient Transport Service and London Ambulance Service.

The coach is from the Merseyside area and Surrey Police is working closely with its counterparts at Merseyside Police, as well as with the coach company, to identify the passengers and notify relatives. A casualty bureau is being set up for anyone concerned about their relatives and the number will be circulated in due course.

Following medical assessment, passengers will be taken to a rest centre which has been set up nearby and is being managed by Waverley Borough Council.

Surrey Police Assistant Chief Constable Jerry Kirkby said: “This has been declared a major incident and we are working with our colleagues from the other emergency services and other partner agencies to provide a coordinated response in line with agreed protocols. Our thoughts remain with the relatives of the dead and the injured at this time and we are working very hard to notify their next of kin.”

At 9.30am (12 Sep) a police spokesperson said: “Closures remain in place on the northbound carriageway between the Hindhead Tunnel and Thursley and is likely to remain closed for several hours. Diversions are in place and motorists are asked to avoid the area until the road can be re-opened.”

Share This Post