Fringe Box



Armed Police Enter Friary Centre After ‘Stones’ Smash Windows At Wetherspoon’s Pub

Published on: 28 Oct, 2015
Updated on: 29 Oct, 2015

Armed police entered the Friary Centre on Wednesday evening, October 28), after two windows in the Wetherspoon’s pub opposite were broken by what officers believe were stones.

Armed police officers seen leaving the Friary Centre.

Armed police officers seen leaving the Friary Centre.

Onslow Street from its junction with Woodbridge Road and Bridge Street were quickly closed by a large police presence with a police helicopter in the air.

BBC Surrey reporter Adrian Harmes was enjoying a drink on the first floor of the Wetherspoon’s Rodboro Buildings pub when he heard a ‘ping’ and realised something had broken two panes of glass, which he was showered with.

One of the broken panes of glass in the Rodboro Buildings Wetherspoon's pub.

Broken panes of glass in the Rodboro Buildings Wetherspoon’s pub.

He said: “We thought it was a lightbulb exploding at first and then someone said it looked like shots had been fired from either the roof of the Friary Centre or inside it.”

However, the incident did not last long and by just after 10pm, the police cordon was lifted and traffic was flowing once again and pedestrians were walking through the area that had been affected.

It does not seem that at any time during the incident that the Wetherspoon’s pub was evacuated or closed. The Friary Shopping Centre is closed during the evenings.

The Rodboro Buildings.

The Rodboro Buildings.

After the police cordon had been lifted a Guildford Dragon NEWS reader who did not wish to give his name said that he was told that a suspect had been arrested in the Burger King restaurant at the bottom of North Street.

A spokesman for Surrey Police said later: “Surrey Police was called to Bridge Street, Guildford at 9pm today (Wednesday, October 28) following a suspicious incident in which a number of stones are believed to have been thrown at the window of Wetherspoon’s pub.

“Officers attended and searched the area with the help of the National Police Air Service, however no persons responsible were found. No persons were injured during the incident.”

Considerable police activity was still reported at 10.16pm.

Later (October 29) Richard Potts, Operations Manager at The Friary, said: “We are aware of an incident that took place yesterday evening close to The Friary and have liaised with Surrey Police.  The incident did not take place in The Friary, which was closed at the time, and The Friary opened this morning as usual.”

The Burger King restaurant in North Street.

Police officers outside the Burger King restaurant in North Street.

Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *