Fringe Box



Casualties After Two Separate Accidents Close Large Section of A3 Overnight

Published on: 29 Jan, 2014
Updated on: 29 Jan, 2014

Four people, including two police officers, were injured in two separate accidents on the A3 in the early hours of this morning (Wednesday, January 29), resulting in a large section of the road being closed.



One took place on the northbound carriageway at Thursley and one on the southbound carriageway at Ripley.

The first incident took place 400 yards from the Thursley junction around 3.25am after a blue Vauxhall Zafira collided with a fence. The vehicle is believed to have rolled several times. The male driver was taken to St George’s Hospital by road with serious injuries. The northbound carriageway was closed, but has since been reopened.

The second incident took place on the southbound carriageway at Ripley around 3.40am. An unmarked police car was responding to an incident when it was involved in a head-on collision with a black Volkswagen Polo which was travelling the wrong way along the carriageway. The female driver of the Polo, who is in her 20s, was taken to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford with suspected serious injuries.

Both officers in the police vehicle were also taken to hospital for assessment.

Surrey Police has reported that the incident has been voluntarily referred to the IPCC (Independent Police Complaints Commission) as per standard procedure, due to the involvement of the unmarked police vehicle.

The northbound carriageway of the A3 at Ripley was closed due to debris but was reopened at 4.50am while the southbound carriageway is expected to be reopened shortly.

Anyone who witnessed either of the collisions, or with any information, is asked to contact Surrey Police on 101, quoting P14027735 (Thursley) or P14027739 (Ripley).

Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *