Fringe Box



City Come from Behind Twice to Earn Away Draw

Published on: 8 Oct, 2023
Updated on: 10 Oct, 2023

Spelthorne Sports (1) 2, Guildford City (1) 2

By Barry Underwood

After two consecutive defeats, Guildford City got back on track at Staines Road with a deserved point against in-form Spelthorne Sports.

City were a little sluggish for the opening 20 minutes and a number of forward passes were overhit into forward areas. Out of nowhere, Spelthorne scored with their first effort on goal on 10 minutes. Jamie Fuller found himself in acres of space and he had time to shoot beyond Lewis Hoy into the corner.

The home side was winning a lot of second ball and with good movement up front things looked a little ominous for the visitors. But as so often this season Guildford suddenly sprang to life around the 25-minute mark.

Listen to Ian Plested’s post-match interview here:

City worked a good opening that saw Nat Mensah’s shot block and Mike Coppinger took two touches with the loose ball when a first-time shot was called for. A minute later, following a corner, Darnell McDonald’s effort from the edge of the box struck the post.

Mike Coppinger, scorer of City’s first goal


But Guildford were not to be denied and two further minutes on they had equalised when Mike Coppinger curled a 30-yard free kick into the bottom corner.

Then just before the interval, a fine Coppinger pass gave Darnell McDonald another shooting chance which was tipped around the post at full stretch.

Immediately after the restart, McDonald came mighty close to a goal; his 30-yard piledriver being superbly saved by Shay Honey in the Spelthorne goal. Minutes later Nat Mensah broke clear on the right, but by delaying his shot he was thwarted by a superbly timed tackle.

On the hour the home side went ahead again. Controversially a heavy tackle on Kai Beck wasn’t given as a foul by the officials, and the ball was quickly transferred downfield where Spelthorne won a free kick. Up stepped Filipe de Lima who curled the ball into the top corner.

In an entertaining second period, both sides came close. A fine Kai Beck run to the by-line saw him lay the ball back across the six-yard box where Mike Coppinger smashed the ball goalward. But somehow a defender on the line managed to head the ball clear. Immediately in response the home side hit the near post after a low cross.

Spelly saw an effort at the back post volleyed wide and another cross go straight across goal. On 81 minutes City thought they should have had a penalty. Just inside the box, Darnell McDonald was brought down following a foot striking his head.

Kai Beck’s equaliser secured the away point

Both referee and adjacent linesman however saw no infringement and play went on. Undeterred, Guildford soon got back on level terms. A high, hanging corner caused confusion in the goalmouth and Kai Beck managed to bundle the ball over the line.

In stoppage time Will May’s attempted lob was saved by Honey. Soon after the referee brought an entertaining match to a close.

Team: Lewis Hoy, Alex Andreou, Callum Sullivan (Will May 78), Tolu Ajayi-Obe, James Glover, Owen Sims, Kai Beck, Owen Tanner, Nathaniel Mensah (Manny Acheampong 70), Mike Coppinger, Darnell McDonald. Unused subs: Louis Lindsay, Jack Cleevely, Lewis Taylor.

Referee: Stephen Matthews

Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *