Fringe Box



City Fight Back, But It’s Not Enough

Published on: 10 Dec, 2023
Updated on: 10 Dec, 2023

Epsom & Ewell (2) 4, Guildford City (2) 3

By Barry Underwood

In a game that was a thriller for the neutrals, Guildford went down at the Leg o’ Mutton Field by just one goal in seven.

Having drawn level at the interval, City had a golden spell immediately after the break. But a frustrated Guildford manager, Tristan Rees, bemoaned after the game that his side had had enough chances to have won three or four matches.

There was little between the sides in the early stages, but it was the home side who scored with the first clear opportunity via a set piece; the giant figure of Thompson Adeyemi heading home from close range.

Within minutes City had a good chance to equalise from Ogbanufe’s low cross, but Will May couldn’t get his feet organised quickly enough to convert.

A minute later Naz Regragui snatched at the ball on the turn and his shot went wide. then, on 22 minutes Guildford went two goals behind. Another free-kick into the box went in off a defender attempting to clear.

Guildford were under pressure at this point and only a brilliant goal line block by Callum Wilson prevented a further goal.

The game’s big talking point happened in the 38th minute. Will May had chased a lost cause out by the corner flag where he won the ball in a tackle with Epsom’s goalkeeper Harvey Keogh!

May quickly recycled the ball via Regragui and Darnell McDonald netted with a low drive.

Darnell McDonald soorer of City’s firdt goal and the team’s man of the match. Photo by Chris Pegman.

Meanwhile the keeper Keogh had crashed heavily in the perimeter fencing andrequired lengthy treatment before continuing. The Epsom goalie clearly wasn’t 100 per cent and when he couldn’t hold a corner under his crossbar, Will May was on-hand to turn the ball in for an equaliser.

Will May, scorer of City’s second goal to bring the level at half time.both scored. Photo by Chris Pegman.

So it was no surprise that goalkeeper Harvey Keogh was replaced at the interval by outfield player Nick Wilson, and City, with the score at 2-2, sensed an opportunity to win the match.

Lift their game they certainly did but stand- in keeper Nick Wilson proved adept in his temporary playing position performing commendably well between the sticks.

Naz Regragui gave Will May a shooting chance that cleared the crossbar, and on 57 minutes the same combination of players saw May’s attempted side foot into an empty net miraculously saved by Wilson.

Guildford looked to be controlling the game, but suddenly from nowhere Epsom scored two goals in two minutes that was to prove decisive. First a mistake in the middle of the park gave an opening for a goal scored from the right edge of the box, shortly followed by a low ball across the box that was converted at the back post.

But City still created chances. Caleb Wright headed a corner over the bar from close range, and with 10 minutes remaining Naz Regragui volleyed over from eight yards.

Minutes later James Glover gave the travelling Sweeney some hope by heading home a corner. 4-3.

In a frantic ending Will May saw a close-range effort blocked, whilst Owen Sims raced through on the right only to see Wilson save bravely with his legs.

Team: Adam Longman (Chris Adams 69), Owen Sims, Darnell McDonald, Callum Wilson (Callum Sullivan 88), James Glover, Niall Stillwell (Jake Heighes 72), Will May, Conor Stillwell, Mohamed Regragui, Caleb Wright, Anthony Ogbanufe (Finley Warren 69). Unused sub: Lewis Taylor.

Referee: Daniel Trout

Attendance – 72

Hear Ian Plested’s post-match interview here…

Next match Guildford City vs AFC Croydon Saturday December 16

Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *