Fringe Box



City Just Can’t Catch a Break

Published on: 18 Dec, 2023
Updated on: 18 Dec, 2023

Guildford City (0) 0, AFC Croydon Athletic (1) 2

By Barry Underwood

This was another frustrating day in the life of Guildford City Football Club. Throughout City went blow to blow with an AFC Croydon side heading towards the end of season play-offs.

But again, fortune did not smile on the home side.

Jermaine McGlashan’s Rams scored after just five minutes when from the edge of the City box Michael Kamara’s free kick cannoned into the wall where it deflected widely into the net with Mac Chisholm stranded.

Guildford responded strongly and within minutes Naz Regragui had a great shooting chance but shot inches wide. City’s defence headed an effort off the line, but immediately in attack the returning Mike Coppinger slid a ball through to Anthony Ogbanufe who shot just wide of the far post.

For much of the half there was little between the sides, but it was City who in the late stages twice came close. On 41 minutes Ogbanufe’s cross just evaded Mike Coppinger in the box, whilst in the closing minutes Anthony Ogbanufe burst through but bearing down on goal his touch was too heavy and Toby Fisher was able to save comfortably.

The second half was an attritional battle between equally matched sides. City had an early half chance early on. Naz Regragui received the ball in the six-yard box but try as he might he couldn’t find an opening for a shot. City fired a number of free kicks into the Rams’ box, but the visitors’ defence was up to the challenge.

In the final minute of regular time Rams scored their second and it was a comic-cuts goal. A back pass bobbled as Mac Chisholm attempted to kick it down the pitch but missed getting only a slight touch giving Louie Theophanous the simple task of tapping the ball into the
empty net.

In stoppage time Shawn Clement-Peter shot over the bar, and for City Tolu Ajayi Obe created a half chance for Ben Thompson whose shot on the turn went wide.

Team: Mac Chisholm, Lewis Taylor (Tolu Ajayi-Obe 87), Callum Wilson (Ben Thompson 76), Jon Sanchez, James Glover, Niall Stillwell, Callum Sullivan, Freddie Robins (Finley Warren 85), Naz Regragui, Mike Coppinger, Anthony Ogbanufe (Kai Beck 80). Unused sub: Jake Heighes.

Referee: Connor Fanelli

Attendance – 110

Watch Ian Plested’s post-match interview with Guildford City manager Tristan Rees here…

Next match: Abbey Rangers vs Guildford City 1500, December 23.

Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *