Fringe Box



Updated: Dramatic Police Car Chase Ends in Taser-drawn Arrest Near Jacobs Well

Published on: 3 Jun, 2020
Updated on: 4 Jun, 2020

Police officers approach the suspect. The officer on left has his taser drawn.

Two people were arrested following a pursuit through Woking and Guildford last night (June 3). The dramatic police chase culminated in a Taser-drawn arrest by the junction of Salt Box Road and Woking Road.

A police spokesperson said: “Officers attempted to stop a car in Burpham. The driver didn’t stop which resulted in a pursuit through Woking and Guildford. The car was eventually brought to a stop at the junction of Salt Box Road and Woking Road. The suspect tried to escape on foot but was quickly detained.” [Surrey Police initially reported that the subject had been Tasered but have subsequently issued a correction.]

Burpham resident Christian Holliday, who witnessed the incident and took the photos, said: “A white Audi was being chased by approximately four police cars, some unmarked, and a police motorcyclist. The driver pulled off the road and made off on foot but was pursued by the police biker who chased him back towards his car where other officers were waiting.”

One officer had his Taser drawn as the suspect was made to kneel with his hands up, handcuffs were fitted and an arrest made. The arrest incident took place around 7.15pm.

A 24-year-old man, no fixed address, was arrested on suspicion of driving when disqualified, failure to stop, dangerous driving, being concerned in the supply of drugs and driving under the influence of drugs. He is still in custody.

A 23-year-old woman from Guildford was arrested for being carried in a stolen vehicle and has been released under investigation.

The police investigation continues.

First arm seized…

…first cuff applied…

Share This Post

Responses to Updated: Dramatic Police Car Chase Ends in Taser-drawn Arrest Near Jacobs Well

  1. Dennis Paul Reply

    June 3, 2020 at 9:53 pm

    The vehicle passed me by five minutes earlier speeding down the A322 yards from Saltbox Road where it swerved past me. I was driving towards Worplesdon. A police bike led the chase, followed by three police cars and three unmarked police cars.

  2. David Wragg Reply

    June 4, 2020 at 8:41 am

    Disgraceful that Surrey police media team only works 8.30-5. When I worked in media relations, it was 24/7/52.

    Editor’s note: Out of hours coverage is provided via the police 101 number and the duty inspector. We did request further information last night and have checked this morning that the request has been received by the police comms team.

  3. Martin Elliott Reply

    June 4, 2020 at 11:57 am

    Given current concerns of use of force by police services globally, perhaps The Dragon could clarify that a Taser was used on a suspect (police spokesman) or ‘only’ drawn.

    “The police are allowed to use Tasers when they are faced with a serious threat of violence and they consider that the use of the Taser is reasonable and proportionate to the threat they face.”

    Editor’s Note: We are grateful for Martin Elliott’s question. We raised the matter with Surrey Police who corrected their initial statement and made clear that a Taser had not been “fired”. The article has been updated accordingly.

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *