Fringe Box



Guildford City Fall To Another Heavy Defeat

Published on: 3 Apr, 2014
Updated on: 3 Apr, 2014

Swindon Supermarine 5, Guildford City 0

by Ian Plested and Barry Underwood

City fell to a five goal defeat at the Webbs Wood stadium, as promotion chasing Swindon Supermarine gleaned another three points in their play-off push.

The much changed City line up before the match.

The much changed City line up before the match. All pictures by Paul Burgman.

This was Guildford’s fourth consecutive away match in 12 days involving round trips of over 700 miles. Nobody could fault the visitor’s effort but this was clearly a match too far.

With injuries and work commitments biting City were forced to field a paper thin squad, including backup goalkeeper Aaron Hennessy playing in a striker’s role.

Supermarine had the game’s first goal scoring opportunity after two minutes when Bradley Gray saw a curling shot drift away. Captain for the night Antony Hall was twice called into early action, interspersed by a long range effort from Joel Greaves that went harmlessly wide.

On 12 minutes a good passing move nearly saw Joel greaves through on goal, only to be thwarted by the home keeper.  The home side opened the scoring on 18 minutes when confusion in the City defence led to Josh Parsons chipping a stranded Antony Hall.

Supermarine upped the pressure and it was no surprise when they netted a second. A cross from the left took a wicked deflection off Elvis Defreitas, leaving Hall once again stranded. On 35 minutes, and with City battling to stay in the game, Antony Hall made a heroic save from a Swindon breakaway.


Guildford City’s Joel Graves (red and white shirt) is challenged by two Swindon Supermarine players.

City did enjoy a brief spell of pressure late in the half. Firstly Joel Greaves was just beaten to a loose ball by the home keeper, and after a goalkeeping mistake the impressive Greaves headed goal ward only to see the effort cleared for a corner.

To have a chance of another Houdini recovery City were going to have to score next. Sadly it wasn’t to be when Alex Fergusson scored with a header for Supermarine to make it 3 – 0 on 49 minutes. Minutes later Guildford did have the ball in the back of the net but the effort from Dom Ogun was ruled out for offside.


A sliding tackle on City’s Nuno Periera.

On 59 minutes City once again went close when Bruce McPhail’s throw was laid on by Greaves for Nuno Pereira whose effort was blocked for a corner. The visitors were enjoying good possession and there was a sense that a goal might just Guildford a chance. Then within two minutes the home side notched two goals to confirm the result.

Firstly Alex Afful’s back pass was intercepted by Josh Parsons who was able to slot home to complete his hat-trick. Almost immediately from a corner, Antony Hall appeared to be fouled as he went for a high ball, but with no foul being awarded the loose ball was netted for Swindon’s fifth goal.

Swindon missed two half chances late on, and City went close with a Greaves header and McPhail shot. With the resources available this was a battling Guildford performance and the hope is that Supermarine see the real Guildford City when the sides meet again at the Spectrum on Easter Monday (3pm).

Team: Antony Hall, Alex Afful, Dammy Bada, Elvis Defreitas, Bruce McPhail, Jordan Taylor, Dom Ogun, Joe Thoroughgood, Joel Greaves, Aaron Hennessy (Dida Alsaffar 45), Nuno Periera.

Yellow Cards: Dammy Bada

Referee:  Adam Matthews

Attendance – 111

Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *