Fringe Box



Guildford City Slump To A Home Defeat

Published on: 20 Mar, 2014
Updated on: 20 Mar, 2014

Guildford City 1, Mangotsfield United  2

By Alice Curtis and Barry Underwood

An injury hit Guildford City’s fourth game in eight days ended in defeat despite an encouraging performance at Guildford Spectrum on Wednesday night.

With five midfield players absent injured, City’s engine room had an unusual looking appearance. City found themselves on the back foot early on in the game as Mangotsfield scored with virtually the first chance of the game, as Lewis Powell produced a neat finish from six yards with eight minutes played.

City's Sam Spencer on the ball.

City’s Sam Spencer on the ball. All pictures by Paul Burgman.

But City began to fight back as Dammy Bada’s promising free kick into the area was cleared before Andy White’s looping header had too much height in order create an impact.

However, the equaliser for City came moments later, as Andy White’s initial shot was brilliant saved by Kevin Sawyer, but Lance Banton-Brown was there to follow up the rebound with 13 minutes played. City then had the ball in the back of the net moments later but was ruled offside after a good long ball from Lance Banton-Brown to set up Callum Attwood.

Andy White then almost caught out the visitor’s goalkeeper as Kevin Sawyer lost control of the ball to allow him through, but White himself lacked control and Matt Sysum came to Mangotsfield’s rescue.

On 30 minutes Anthony Bridgeman limped from the field and noticeably it was Mangotsfield who really grew into the game during the remaining stages of the first half.

A long throw into Lewis Sommers was controlled well but eventually cleared, before Jamie Reid’s header was high enough to not threaten the goal. This build up of pressure got the visitor’s their second goal; a class finish from Ashley Williams after driving the ball into the area from the left, smashing the ball into the right hand corner with 35 minutes played.

The ref has a word with City lance Barton-Brown.

The ref has a word with City Lance Banton-Brown.

The visitor’s could have added another two before the half time whistle as Antony Hall produced a fine save from Lewis Powell’s shot before Matt Sysum’s header downwards header shimmied in front of the net.

Guildford City started the second half well with some good passing movements, directed by first half substitute Nuno Pereira who was notably getting the ball up the front of the pitch. However, it was the visitor’s who had the majority of the chances during the second period. Pinpoint passing from Matt Sysum, Ashley Williams and Lewis Powell saw Powell’s final touch curl within close distance of the goal.

Josh Egan then had a go from distance but his ambitious shot flew straight over the bar. City struggled to create an all important opening in front of goal. Matt Oldring saw his powerful shot from 20 yards fly straight into Kevin Sawyer’s arms, while a tiring Andy White and Nuno Pereira couldn’t fashion an opening.

Finally, the chance came when Andy White’s aerial challenge saw the ball fall to substitute Dida Alsaffar. Just two yards from goal and with the goalkeeper nowhere the slightest of connections of the bouncing ball would have put Guildford back on level terms. Sadly the connection was too sweet and to the visible angst of Kev Rayner the effort cleared the crossbar.

Goalmouth action with City's

Goalmouth action with City’s Dida Alsfaar.

At the other end Josh Egan forced Antony Hall to make a fantastic one handed save as he found space in front of the ‘keeper to shoot, almost adding to the visitor’s score tally. The final 10 minutes saw Mangotsfield dominate territorially, although City still looked lively breaking out of midfield. The visitors Darren Edwards and Josh Egan both had late chances but this was a spirited performance from a Guildford side missing six regular players.

Team: Antony Hall, Elvis Defreitas, Dammy Bada, Matthew Oldring, Jamie Thoroughgood, Bruce McPhail, Andy White, Anthony Bridgeman (Nuno Pereira 30), Sam Spencer, Lance Banton-Brown (Dida Alsaffar 45), Callum Attwood. Unused subs: Aaron Hennessy.

Yellow Cards: Andy White 

Referee: Shaun Scott

Attendance – 81

Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *