Fringe Box



Guildford City’s Limp Exit From FA Cup

Published on: 17 Aug, 2014
Updated on: 18 Aug, 2014

Guildford City (0) 0, Ashford United (0) 2

By Barry Underwood

The passion of the FA Cup!

City’s Jordan Taylor's shot  is deflected over.

City’s Jordan Taylor’s shot is deflected over.

Well this was the FA Cup, but sadly Guildford City was unable to lift their performance on the day to match their opponents, and thus rather limply exited the game’s prestige competition.

Once again several late withdrawals from the squad hindered City’s preparation for the match and certainly for much of the game the home side were seemingly struggling to get out of first gear.

Credit though to Ashford United who are a more than competent side, and looked as if they will be playing at Step Four next season. In the first period especially City certainly enjoyed good possession but the side’s cohesiveness from previous matches was lacking.

City's Sam Spencer heads on goal.

City’s Sam Spencer heads on goal.

On 11 minutes a pass inside the home defence saw Gary Clarke graze the outside of the post. Shortly after the same player missed from a good position, and in the first quarter Ashford twice missed further half-chances.

In response City probed but were often guilty of being caught in possession. That said the home side’s best chance came on the half hour; Khari Oriogun’s cross falling to Sam Spencer whose left foot effort from close range was saved by Joe Mant’s legs.

Minutes before the interval City had an opportunity to take the lead against the run of play, when Anthony Baker and Khari Oriogun combined to give Sam Spencer a shooting chance which sadly was deflected wide for a corner.

Early in the second half Ashford made up for their profligacy in the first period. Firstly Kieran Byrne gained possession some 22 yards from goal and his excellent curling effort found the corner of the net with Antony Hall rooted to the spot.

On 52 minutes Hall saved brilliantly with his legs with Ashford players queuing up to shoot the ball home. Not heeding the warning City’s defence opened up again a minute later; this time Kieran Byrne slotting home from close range.

Jack Guilford of City tries a shot.

Jack Guilford of City tries a shot.

Guildford were clearly struggling to come to terms with the second-half and the home side seemed rattled having conceding goals at the onset of the half. The arrival of debutant Navid Zandi from the bench did give Guildford a lift, and three times in five minutes efforts from Khari Oriogun, Anthony Baker and Sam Spencer forced visiting keeper Mant into action.

Navid Zandi’s half volley over the bar was City’s last effort and there was no disguising the fact from officials, players and supporters alike that Guildford had dropped innocuously out of the FA Cup.

Team: Antony Hall, Elvis Defreitas, Liam Talbot, David Unwin (Tyler Chambers 86), Tom Penson, Ben Rayner (Ryan Wallis 87), Anthony Baker, Jack Guilford, Sam Spencer, Khari Oriogun, Jordan Taylor (Navid Zandi 56). Unused subs: Bruce McPhail, Junior Alade, Nuno Pereira, Aaron Hennessy.

Yellow cards: Sam Spencer, Jack Guilford, Tom Penson

Referee: Craig Simpson

Attendance: 112


Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *