Fringe Box



Life Sentence For Man Who Stabbed Daniel Sommerville On Woodbridge Hill

Published on: 17 Jul, 2015
Updated on: 18 Jul, 2015
Nathaniel Johnson Sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum of 23 years.

Nathaniel Johnson sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 23 years for the murder of Guildford resident Daniel Somerville.

A man been sentenced to life, with a minimum term of 23 years, after being found guilty of the murder of 24-year-old Daniel Sommerville during a violent altercation in Guildford in February.

Daniel Summerville

Daniel Sommerville.

Nathaniel Johnson, 24, of Barkworth Road, Bermondsey, denied one count of murder but was found guilty by a jury following a two-week trial at Guildford Crown Court that concluded on Friday, July 17.

Robyn Kirk, 28, from Mary Road, Guildford, was found not guilty of assisting an offender in connection with the incident.

Police officers were called to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford at around 3.35pm on Monday, February 2, following reports that a man in his twenties had been admitted with stab wounds.

The injured man was quickly identified as Guildford resident Daniel Sommerville, and he died in hospital several hours later.

A post-mortem examination established that Mr Sommerville had died as the result of a single stab wound to the chest.

Further inquiries established that an altercation had taken place a short time earlier at the junction of Aldershot Road and Worplesdon Road on Woodbridge Hill involving the occupants of a black Vauxhall Corsa and a dark coloured van.

Aldershot Road at its junction with Worplesdon Road and Woodbridge Hill on Monday evening with police officers carrying out investigations.

Aldershot Road at its junction with Worplesdon Road and Woodbridge Hill on Monday evening February 2, with police officers carrying out investigations.

Witnesses reported that Johnson and Sommerville had got out of their respective vehicles when they stopped at traffic lights and the two men had begun fighting in the street. During the course of the confrontation Somerville was fatally stabbed.

Following the incident, Johnson ran from the scene and was arrested by Surrey Police officers in the early hours of Tuesday, February 3, at an address in London.

The police continue their investigations on Woodbridge Hill.

The police continued their investigations on Woodbridge Hill.

Detectives from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team quickly launched an extensive investigation and cordoned off the Woodbridge Hill area while a forensic examination took place. Police officers spoke to witnesses at the scene and carried out house-to-house enquiries in the local area.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Preston, of the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said: “This was a tragic incident in which a young man lost his life and I welcome today’s lengthy custodial sentence for Nathanial Johnson which recognises the devastating impact of his actions.

“Our thoughts and sympathies remain with Daniel Sommerville’s family and friends at this difficult time and I hope today’s sentencing can bring them some form of closure and help them move on with their lives. We will continue to provide them with advice and support going forward.

“Johnson’s actions were callous and clearly pre-meditated. He not only armed himself before the confrontation but having delivered the fatal blow then fled from the scene and made no attempt to assist Daniel or contact the police.

“This was an isolated incident which understandably deeply shocked and concerned local residents but we have worked with our neighbourhood team colleagues to keep the public updated and we have successfully brought those responsible to justice.”

Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *