Fringe Box



Sports Round-Up, Back-to-Back City Wins

Published on: 27 Apr, 2021
Updated on: 28 Apr, 2021

The World Snooker Championship Photo Wikipedia

By Julian Cooper

I took my first test this week in the government and NHS study trying to ensure a safe return to mass sport-spectator attendance. Now I am excited to be able to attend the World Snooker Championships in Sheffield.

Since the Seventies, I have enjoyed watching the game on what was then a black and white television. For all you youngsters, that’s where I learnt the brown ball has a grayscale similar to a red.

Next week, I’ll tell you all about the battles of the green baize, but to get the all-clear to journey to a different town for the first time in months is an added thrill.

Surrey Sports Park swimming-pool Photo Surrey Sports Park

This week, with restrictions easing, I returned to the swimming pool at the Surrey Sports Park, the fantastic facility on Manor Farm towards the western edge of Guildford.

You need to book your one-hour slot, using their website the pool being set up for 25m lane swimming or the full 50m.

I chose the shorter version but managed a kilometre straight off, despite not having lane-swum for seven years or so. Three days later, I did it again. Stopping smoking has been my best lockdown achievement.

And this has been a great football week for Guildford City. They recorded their first victory since “Barnsey” took over, securing a 1-0 win in the league cup against AFC Hayes.

The contest was close with some good individual battles, the key one being between Guildford City’s striker Cyril Ocansey and the AFC Hayes defender and captain Charlie Howes.

Cyril Ocansey showing great pace up front Photo Paul Burgman

Ocansey’s pace proved to be the key issue when finally he left Howes struggling to keep up and unleashed a strong shot parried by Tom Clarke in goal. But Ocansey latched on to the rebound and slotted the winner home.

On Saturday, City followed up the midweek win with what was possibly their strongest performance since returning from lockdown. Farnham Town were the visitors at The Spectrum for the next round in the Fripp Smith trophy. The conditions were perfect and two minutes in Ocansey had a great chance, brushing the top of the crossbar.

Just four minutes before the break Guildford City broke the deadlock. Fred Hill timed his run onto Max Oldham’s through ball and calmly slid his shot past advancing keeper Richard Ossai.

In the second half, Farnham were putting Guildford under pressure and with 10 minutes remaining Farnham got on the scoresheet through the ever-lively former Guildford City player Matt Glass, who managed to get an effort inside the near post.

City weren’t done for. During a scramble in the Farnham goalmouth, an effort by Harry Nicholas spiralled off a defender and over the bar. But it was to be a happy afternoon for Guildford.

Izy Nzelo heads a dramatic winner for City Photo Paul Burgman

On 85 minutes, Max Oldham’s corner was met by an airborne Isy Nzelo who spectacularly netted with a bullet-like header. Final score Guildford City 2 Farnham Town 1

Share This Post

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *