Fringe Box



Third Consecutive Defeat for Disappointing City

Published on: 1 Oct, 2023
Updated on: 1 Oct, 2023

Guildford City (0) 0, Alton (1) 3

By Barry Underwood

Last week Guildford lost but created chances galore. This week was more disappointing with City lacking any sparkle and goal chances were few and far between. Guildford’s young side has started the season well, but this was the poorest performance of the 12 matches played thus far.

For the third consecutive match, the home side went behind to an early penalty. After a poor clearance a desperate challenge brought down an Alton player, and Matt Graham scored from the spot for the visitors.

It was a scrappy first period. Darnell McDonald saw an early effort on goal comfortably saved, and on the half-hour following Mike Coppinger’s free-kick, Owen Tanner hooked an effort goalward that was also comfortably saved.

There was little incident of note from either side until the late stages of the half. On 40 minutes Owen Tanner’s through ball gave Manny Acheampong a good opening, but he pulled his shot wide from an angle.

Alton manager Kevin Adair was happier with his side’s second-half performance. The visitors should have gone further ahead within seconds of the restart. A weak back pass was intercepted, but with the goal seemingly at his mercy the forward under-hit his effort, and James Glover slid across to prevent the ball entering the net.

Hopes that this escape would spark City into life were misplaced.

As hard as they tried Guildford couldn’t build any momentum, and on 66 minutes they went further behind. A defence-splitting pass enabled a low cross which was stabbed home from close in by Scott Sanderson.

For City, Tolu Ajayi-Obe mistimed a close-range header on 77 minutes, and minutes later
and as if to rub in the disappointment, a Guildford defender could only turn the ball into his own net for Alton’s third.

Late on a Kai Beck header was scrambled over the bar by Mees in the Alton goal, and Ethan Cassie had more time than he thought when he had possession in the box.

Team: Lewis Hoy, Lewis Taylor (Alex Andreou 67), Callum Sullivan, Tolu Ajayi-Obe, James Glover, Owen Sims, Manny Acheampong (Ethan Cassie 67), Owen Tanner (Jack Cleevely 79), Will May (Kai Beck 45), Mike Coppinger (Louis Lindsay 45), Darnell McDonald.

Referee: Tom Lathey
Attendance – 152

Hear Ian Plested’s postmatch interview here:

Next match: 3pm Saturday, October 7 – Spelthorne vs Guildford City

Spelthorne Sports Club venue

Share This Post

Responses to Third Consecutive Defeat for Disappointing City

  1. Olly Azad Reply

    October 4, 2023 at 11:17 am

    Do not be disheartened City players. Think of the previous wins when you remained undefeated at the start of the season. Best of luck when you play your next game against Spelthorne Sports on Saturday. I sense a better performance returning.

Leave a Comment

Please see our comments policy. All comments are moderated and may take time to appear.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *